WeedMD Inc. (TSX-V:WMD) (OTC:WDDMF) (FSE:4WE), a federally-licensed producer and distributor of medical cannabis, is pleased to announce that it has secured its Health Canada Cultivation Licence for the first four grow rooms within its 220,000 sq. ft. Phase I retrofit of its 610,000 sq. ft. modern greenhouse in Strathroy, Ontario.
With a fully-funded 220,000 sq. ft. retrofit in its final stage, the Company will progressively bring a total of 20 grow rooms online over the coming months. The first set of cannabis plants are ready to be transferred to the new facility over the next couple of weeks from the Company’s fully-licensed and operational facility in Aylmer, Ontario, located 60 km away. When Phase I is complete, WeedMD’s production profile has the possibility of increasing from 1,500 kg to more than 21,000 kg per annum. Additionally, the Company’s fully-funded Phase II expansion is currently underway with an incremental 175,000 sq. ft conversion representing the possibility of an additional yield of 12,000 kg bringing the yearly total to the possibility of more than 33,000 kg by year-end 2018. Once fully retrofitted – bringing total square footage to 610,000 sq. ft. – the entire facility would have the possibility of producing over 50,000 kg annually.
“The milestones achieved in the last 12 months exemplify the break-out year we’ve had at WeedMD as we continue tracking to schedule and budget, while we refine our cannabis production methods and set benchmarks for cultivation in Canada,” said Keith Merker, CFO of WeedMD. “Additionally, we’ve been increasing our headcount since the start of the year in anticipation of this licence, giving us ample time to train our new talent to hit the ground running as we begin expanded cultivation operations. With our state-of-the-art grow facilities, investment in talent acquisition, and the transformational merger announced recently with Hiku Brands Company Ltd. (“Hiku”) (CSE:HIKU) (read here), we are positioning the Company and its shareholders for long-term success.”
The Company’s expansion into its large-scale modern greenhouse will be the main supply source for its medical cannabis patients, future adult-use consumers across Canada as well emerging international markets.
About WeedMD’s Greenhouse
- Situated on 98-acres of property with 610,000 sq. ft. or 14 acres of existing greenhouse structure in addition to ancillary buildings
- Phase I retrofit represents 220,000 sq. ft. of tempered glass greenhouse which is less than two years old
- With features such as full climate-control, supplemental lighting and black-out curtains, WeedMD has combined the best of indoor and greenhouse cultivation to create a true “hybrid” greenhouse
- Equipped with an on-site unlimited supply of natural clean water
- Modern fertigation system runs on full-recirculation loop which provides an accurate, innovative computerized method of monitoring plant nutrients and water. This will ensure that water is recycled and reused and does not leach into the surrounding area and that WeedMD meets its environmental responsibilities
- Boiler exhaust is scrubbed of CO2, cleaned and then utilized for production providing significant cost savings and ensuring optimal plant growth
With a true-hybrid greenhouse, WeedMD will be able to produce indoor quality cannabis, with maximum efficiency.
For more information, access our investor presentation here and corporate video here.
About WeedMD Inc.
WeedMD Inc. is the publicly-traded parent company of WeedMD Rx Inc., a federally-licensed producer and distributor of medical cannabis and oils under the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR). The Company operates a 26,000 sq. ft. indoor facility in Aylmer, Ontario, and a second cultivation site at its greenhouse facility located in Strathroy, Ontario, representing 610,000 sq. ft. or 14 acres under glass. WeedMD has entered into supply agreements in addition to strategic relationships with established cannabis brands. WeedMD is focused on providing medical cannabis to the seniors’ markets in Canada through its proprietary seniors care program. It is dedicated to educating healthcare practitioners and furthering public understanding of the role that medical cannabis plays – including as it pertains to regulatory requirements, indications and potential side effects.
MJShareholders.com is the largest dedicated financial network and leading corporate communications firm serving the legal cannabis industry. Our network aims to connect public marijuana companies with these focused cannabis audiences across the US and Canada that are critical for growth: Short and long term cannabis investors Active funding sources Mainstream media Business leaders Cannabis consumers